Okay, technically this is just a dinner plan. I don’t do a full breakfast and lunch plan. We’re way into smoothies, toast and left overs at our house! Hopefully this will be a start for you if you’re wanting to plan a totally vegan menu and are on a budget like me. I’ve heard friends and family say “I would eat [healthier, vegan, vegetarian, home cooked food] but I literally need someone to walk down the grocery aisles with me,”. I totally get it and budgets are tough. So maybe we can scour the aisles together? Let me say this, in my experience there is no one stop shopping (at least in my area). You’ll do the best with your budget if you plan to hit a really reasonably priced store like Trader Joes and then a store that has an excellent bulk or organic bulk section. For me that’s my local coop, for you it might be Whole Foods. So what’s on the current Beet Sheet…
I was really excited about this week when I realized I hadn’t made Trisha Yearwood’s lasagna in forever. The first time I saw her make it on her show I thought “Black beans? On lasagna?” Now that’s almost the only way I want to make lasagna. Almost… so here is the downloadable printable plan, shopping list and pantry check list:
You can also make your own Beet Sheet. Here’s the template to print and write on.
So, did you know that Garth Brooks is or was at one point eating a vegan diet? I really don’t know much more about it other than that. His wife, Trisha Yearwood had an episode of her show devoted to cooking “Garth foods”. I guess I’m just kind of fascinated imagining what the dynamic might be like in the Garth Brooks/Trisha Yearwood vegan-omni home. I have some changes to her recipe: 1. I tend to wing it a little when making cashew-tofu ricotta 2. I use jarred tomato sauce (try to buy cheapest that’s still organic) 3. I add a layer of thawed and drained frozen spinach for some extra greens and some nutritional yeast on the top along with the black beans.
Black Bean Lasagna with Spinach Trisha Yearwood’s Recipe
To make on Sunday:
- First, get started on your dry black beans as they will need to simmer for up to a few hours, continually adding water. Make enough to sprinkle to taste on top of your lasagna and reserve enough for a side on Taco Night. When cooked add your desired black bean spices to the batch you will reserve and cook a bit more (I like to add some garlic powder or Goya Adobo Seasoning and some pre-made sofrito you can use a little frozen pepper strips and skip tomatoes if you don’t have them).
- Assemble Lasagna and bake.
- Make Post Punk Kitchen’s Glam Chowder, cooking until potatoes are only slightly done. You can continue cooking it on the night it is served. To store freeze or store at the back of a cold fridge in a tightly sealed container.
- Make a batch or double batch of Holy Cow Vegan’s Whole Wheat Buns for serving with soup and for burger night (depending on how many people need to eat).
- Prepare pizza dough and store, get a head start on the Sexy Vegan Not-zarella or Vegan Pizza Cashew Cheese Sauce- Dear Andrea for the pizza if you are so inspired. You really won’t need to clean out your blender after making to tofu ricotta so bonus!
- Pop the tofu you will use for Taco Night in the freezer (this will make for a nice chewy texture when you go to make the fish-less bites.
- Make your pie crust for the Tofu Pie if not using a store bought crust. Store carefully so that it won’t dry out in the fridge.
Glam Chowder with Whole Wheat Buns Post Punk Kitchen’s Glam Chowder and video (it is also in the fantabulous Isa Does It cookbook by Post Punk creator Isa Chandra Moskowitz) Holy Cow Vegan’s Whole Wheat Buns
Tofu Curry Pie Semi-Whole Food Tofu Curry Pie Recipe
Gardein burger patties or your favorite variety, Whole Wheat Buns from above, choice of fresh toppings, your favorite steamed frozen veggie/greens, Oven Fries.
Take your tofu for taco night out of the freezer and make sure it is thawing.
Nemo’s No Fish Tofu Tacos recipe via Family Disney’s website
Take prepared beans out and reheat. Begin white or brown rice (for white rice: 2 cups water, 1 tsp salt, bring to a boil, add 1.5 cups rice, stir, cover and reduce heat. Cook for 25-30 min checking for doneness).
Beet Sheet recipe add in:
- I wasn’t convinced that the breading would stick really well so I added a quick coat/dredge of vegan mayo (I used Wildwood Vegan Garlic Aioli, yum!). Just Mayo or Veganaise would be fantastic as well.
- I added about 1/2 tsp of Old Bay to the panko. This is because I live in the Mid-Atlantic.
I didn’t cut all the tofu into shapes. It was taking a while and I wanted to speed up the whole taco process. I used all the tofu, including the little left over pieces trying to keep all the shapes roughly the same size.
While tofu bakes prepare your toppings. I happened to have some left over Cashew Sour Cream from the week before. If you picked up some plain coconut yogurt for this recipe that would also be delicious. For some freshness make a spread of thinly sliced radishes, cut up a big Florida avocado, shredded romaine and watercress (or whatever toppings you chose on your shopping trip!) Set out some taco sauce or hot sauce for some extra flavor and warmed the tortillas. The back of my stovetop gets pretty hot when the oven’s on so I just set a plate of them back there while everything else is going on.
Roll out prepared pizza dough like this one from Minimalist Baker or store bought dough. Spread with pasta sauce and choice of toppings including Sexy Vegan “Not-zarella” or Vegan Pizza Cashew Cheese Sauce- Dear Andrea. I had some vegan pepperoni from the week before which I stuck in the freezer. In my experience the pepperoni can get moldy quickly so I don’t take any chances. Serve with a nice green salad and your favorite vegan dressing or just a drizzle of your favorite vinegar.
Glam Chowder Night II